skip navigation

Marysville Survives Overtime Thriller Against Hilliard Darby 21-14

By Danny Fogarty, 09/25/21, 12:20AM EDT


Senior quarterback Blake Horavth celebrates with his teammates after scoring a game-tying touchdown in the third quarter.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- As the autumn sun began to fall and Friday's' game kicked off, both the Monarchs and Panthers knew this would be their toughest challenge yet. Yet, in the end, it was the Monarchs who would reign supreme.

Marysville survived past Hilliard Darby 21-14 in overtime at home on Friday night behind three touchdowns from star junior running back Griffin Johnson.

The Monarchs (5-0) stayed undefeated and at the top of the OCC-Capital while the Panthers (4-2) fell toward the middle of the conference standings.

Darby’s 14 points in Friday’s game is the most by any team against Marysville this season, and this was by far the Monarchs’ closest win.

Before Friday's game, Marysville had not allowed more than seven points in a game and had won all their games by over two possessions.

Junior running back Griffin Johnson breaks a tackle on his way to a 21-yard rushing touchdown.

Before the game began, Marysville introduced their homecoming court featuring Ohio State-commit Gabe Powers as homecoming king.  

Powers (6’ 4’’, 230 lbs) would take off the crown to put on his helmet only moments later as the game was to begin.  He would end the game with 83 yards rushing and two tackles for loss.

Marysville got off to a quick start scoring a touchdown in the first two minutes of the game on a 1-yard rush by Johnson.

Neither team would score until the second quarter when Marysville when Johnson slithered and stiff-armed his way through the defense for a 21-yard rushing score. 

The teams went into the locker room with the Monarchs leading 14-0. 

Darby would stage a comeback in the second half with Blake Horvath scoring twice following stiff defensive stops by the Panthers.  Horvath would end the game with 130 yards rushing.

With three minutes left in the game, both teams would be given chances to score only for both the Monarchs and Panthers to go three-and-out forcing overtime.

In overtime, Marysville started with the ball leading to a quick touchdown by Johnson to put the Monarchs up 21-14.

The Panthers then had their chance from the 20-yard-line, and looked to be effectively rushing.  Yet, the success was short-lived as Marysville forced a fumble and recovered it to secure their victory.

The Marysville student section stormed the field as the Monarch’s celebrated their hard-fought triumph over the Panthers.

Darby will look to rebound at home against Olentangy Berlin next Friday.

Marysville hopes to continue their undefeated season as they travel to Dublin Jerome next Friday.

*Following the game, a woman collapsed on field and needed CPR and medical attention to resuscitated.  We have not learned the woman's name, the cause of this, or any further information.  We at 270 Gridiron will be praying for the woman and her family.